There are over 1,200 regular-season NHL games every year, with each NHL team playing 41 home games and 41 road games. That makes for some incredibly entertaining NHL betting in Maryland with tons of opportunities to bring home the cash with the right NHL odds.
- NHL moneyline odds
- Puck line odds in MD
- What about the NHL payouts?
- Over/Unders or Totals
- Parlay odds for NHL
- Futures Bets
- Prop bets
- NHL Grand salami odds
- NHL live/In-play odds
How to bet on the NHL in Maryland
Now that NHL betting is legal in the Old Line State, there’s even more to celebrate. In this guide, we break down NHL betting in Maryland. Then, we will provide you with detailed information about NHL betting, from the types of wagers to which Maryland sports betting sites are the best of the best.
With so many NHL games to bet on in the Old Line State, you need a strategy in place. But, if you stick with our tips and tricks, you will be ready to place your first wager before the next puck hits the ice. Be sure to check out our FAQs for answers to some of the most common questions we receive.
Guide for NHL odds
In this guide, not only will we help guide you to the best NHL betting Maryland, also we take look at the odds for NHL that are offered in the state. Not only do competing NHL betting platforms offer different odds, but they also offer bonuses to lure NHL bettors to bet with them.
Best NHL betting sites in Maryland 2023
NHL betting in Maryland: All sites are 100% legal & licensed by the state.
|Betfred Sportsbook Get up to $1,111 in Fred Bets||Bet now Betfred Maryland promo code|
|Caesars Sportsbook Up to $1,250 bonus||Bet now Caesars Maryland promo code|
|BetRivers Sportsbook Up to $500 in bonus bets||Bet now BetRivers promo code MD|
|DraftKings Sportsbook Bet $5, get $150 in bonus bets||Bet now DraftKings promo code MD|
|BetMGM Sportsbook Up to $1,000 in bonus bets||Bet now BetMGM Maryland bonus code|
|FanDuel Sportsbook Bet $5 get $200 in bonus bets||Bet now FanDuel Maryland promo code|
NHL odds Maryland
Before heading online to sign up with a NHL sportsbook and place your first bet, you are going to want to make sure you understand the basics of NHL odds MD. We’ve got you covered with an overview of the most common odds types of hockey bets in Maryland. Let’s get started with the most common wager, the Moneyline.
NHL moneyline odds
Betting on the Moneyline is the most popular type of NHL odds wager. A moneyline bet is simply a wager on which NHL team will win in a game. It’s easiest to explain by providing an example.
Say a NHL sportsbook’s Moneyline has the Washington Capitals as the favorite at -115 and the New York Rangers as the underdog at +250.
- Scenario 1: You bet $115 on the Capitals, and they win. You make a profit of $100.
- Scenario 2: You bet for the underdog, the Rangers, and they win. The payday is much more significant when betting on the underdog. You make $250 on a $100 bet in this case.
- Scenario 3: You bet on either team, and that team loses, so you lose the bet and your wager.
Puck line odds in MD
The puck line is comparable to baseball’s run line in that they are both based on a 1.5 spread. Let’s use the Washington Capitals and New York Rangers as an example again.
- Washington Capitals -1.5 (-120)
- New York Rangers +1.5 (+230)
When betting on the puck line in this example, you are wagering that the favorite, the Capitals, will win the game by two goals, or the Rangers, the underdog, will either win outright or lose by one goal. What if the game ends in a shootout or goes into overtime?
Well, then the New York Rangers would automatically cover the spread since a Washington Capitals shootout, or overtime win would mean that the winning margin would only be one goal. It’s important to note that the puck line, or spread, never changes in the game.
What about the NHL payouts?
Good question. The odds listed by the two teams indicate what the payouts will be. If the Capitals beat the Rangers by at least two goals, then they’ve covered the spread. If you bet on them, you would take home $100 on a $120 bet.
If you bet on the Rangers and they covered the spread, meaning they won outright or lost by just one goal, then you would take home $230 on a $100 bet. NHL sportsbooks use puck lines bets to even the odds of an NHL game. That said, puck line bets generally offer better odds than Moneyline bets in NHL.
Over/Unders or Totals
Over/under (totals) betting is based on the total number of goals, assists, or any other numerical-based statistic that can occur in a NHL game. A NHL sportsbook posts the totals line, and you decide whether or not the final combined total will be over or under that posted number.
Say a NHL sportsbook set the over/under total for the number of goals scored by both teams at 4.5. If you think the total score will add to more than 5, you will bet over. If you believe that it will be a low-scoring game with less than four goals, you will bet under. Over/under betting in Maryland has nothing to do with the winner. You are only concerned with the totals.
Parlay odds for NHL
A parlay bet is a single wager on two or more outcomes. For example, you parlay $100 on the Washington Redskins and the Detroit Red Wings. Both teams must win their games in order for you to win the parlay bet. If one team loses, you lose the entire bet.
If you have a knack for predicting how a season will unfold or are just certain that the Washington Capitals are going to win the Stanley Cup this year, then futures bets are where it’s at.
NHL sportsbooks offer futures well before the start of a season and will continually adjust the odds as the season progresses.
Prop bets in NHL have to do with a specific player or game-related occurrences. There are always tons of exciting prop bets to choose from. Here are some examples of prop bets:
- Who will be the first player to score in the game?
- Will Alex Ovechkin scored in the first period?
- Will the Washington Capitals win without conceding a goal?
As with all of the other bets, the NHL sportsbook sets the odds for each player or game prop bet. As an example, we asked if Ovechkin will score in the first period. The NHL sportsbook set the odds at -118 for “yes” bets and -112 for “no” bets.
- Scenario 1: You bet that Ovechkin will indeed score in the first period. He got the shot, so you made $100 on your $118 bet.
- Scenario 2: Or perhaps you think he won’t get it past the goalie in the first period, and he didn’t. You bet $112 on “no” and profited $100.
NHL Grand salami odds
A Grand Salami bet is a total bet on a much bigger scale. Imagine there are six games being played on a particular night. An oddsmaker will post how many total goals will be scored in all six games. You bet whether the outcome will be over or under the posted total.
Two NHL teams usually end up with a total of six goals per game. You get to bet on how many total goals will be scored in all six games with a Grand Salami bet. Using these figures, the Grand Salami will be somewhere around 35-40.
NHL live/In-play odds
Can you bet on a NHL game while it’s happening? The answer is yes, and we couldn’t be more excited about that. Live betting in MD on NHL is truly an exhilarating whirlwind of an experience.
You can bet on the action as it’s taking place, and there are tons of wagers to choose from. You definitely will want to try out in-game betting. The more you do it, the better you will get, which means a bigger payday, of course.
Maryland NHL betting strategy
If you are looking to win big when betting on the NHL, then you need to have a strategy in place. Of course, it’s important to understand the game in general and how bets work, but it’s just as critical to be strategic about your wagers.
Lucky for you, we offer up some of our best NHL betting tips in this section. Read on, and your bag of NHL betting tricks will thank you.
- Don’t let your heart mess with your mind. Emotions run high in sports betting, and oddsmakers love it. Why? Because when you put aside rational thinking and bet based on your feelings, it can be dangerous. For your wallet, anyway.
- Always take note of injuries. Would you bet the same if you knew that the goalie was out because of an injury? Probably not. Make sure you know the players so that if the star player is out, you bet accordingly.
- Take advantage of live betting. Watch the live odds as closely as you do the game. If you feel like a NHL sportsbook isn’t quite keeping up, jump on it. It could be an opportunity to cash in on a big payday.
- Study home and road records. As with any sport, the home team advantage is a real thing. An NHL team playing on home ice definitely has advantages – plenty of fans, for example. However, this game is a fickle thing, and sometimes teams just do better on the road. Make sure you know the team’s history when it comes to home games v. road games.
- Also, study the NHL teams’ schedules and streaks. Has the team you are betting on been on the road for weeks? Is fatigue setting in? Or maybe you are looking at a team who is on a crazy good winning streak, and you don’t see them slowing down.
- Explore all NHL betting types. Yes, puck lines and money lines are popular for a reason, but period and totals bets can have substantial payouts as well.
- Parlays shouldn’t be your go-to bet. Even for the experienced bettor, parlays can be difficult to win because the game is so unpredictable.
- Shop the line. We’ll get more into MD sportsbooks in the next section, but you should ALWAYS shop around to ensure you are getting the best possible odds. Knowing what a NHL sportsbook specializes in certainly helps (and don’t worry, we’ll cover that too).
Best NHL sportsbooks Maryland
To maximize your profit, go with more than one MD NHL sportsbook. We say this because all oddsmakers specialize in different betting styles, offer varying bonuses, and have different odds.
We promised we would let you in on the NHL bets Maryland sportsbooks specialize in, and we keep our promises. But before we get to that, let’s first look at some tips to make sure whatever sportsbooks you end up going with are trustworthy and legit.
- Check to see if the sportsbook is legal with a license, is secure, and has plenty of good reviews.
- Review deposit and withdrawal terms. Make sure you can easily make deposits and request a fast payout.
- Study the odds in detail to ensure you are getting the most bang for your buck.
- Look at the sign-on offers with the NHL sportsbook in MD.
Our favorite MD NHL sportsbooks
Every operator in Maryland has its pros and cons. Here are our top five MD NHL oddsmakers and what they specialize in when it comes to the world of NHL:
- BetMGM Maryland: BetMGM is at the top of our list for a reason. They don’t just specialize in one bet or another; they just get it when it comes to every type of NHL wager.
- DraftKings Maryland: This industry leader will make it worth your while with best-in-class bonuses and huge sports market.
- PointsBet Maryland: For unique and exciting NHL betting in Maryland, go with this Australian oddsmaker.
- FanDuel Maryland: Check out the futures wagers offers, and you won’t be disappointed.
- Barstool Sportsbook Maryland: NHL Props bets. Need we say more?
Here’s the deal. When placing an NHL bet with an MD operator, you should always look at the variety of bets offered, the overall value, and maybe most importantly, the odds.
FAQ’s About NHL Betting in Maryland
Yes, it is. The sports betting bill became effective immediately after being signed into law.
Moneyline bets are excellent for novice bettors, but we encourage you to get an understanding of every bet type to maximize your wins.
Before you can place your first NHL bet, you will need to prove your identity and address. For example, you might provide your driver’s license and a utility bill. The reason is to prevent fraud.